Monday, November 9, 2009

And it Begins...

Well you should all be impressed, because I knocked off SIX, count em' SIX bucket list items in a mere 48 hours this past weekend. I will pause for your amazement. Don't act like you're not impressed. A girls gotta eat, so I'll share 3 with you today and 3 tomorrow. The suspense will only make you stronger!
#1 - Righteous Room

Friday night my bestie Natalie and I hit up Righteous Room on Ponce De Leon. This cozy bar quickly packed out with midtown/five points locals, and is tastefully decorated in exposed brick, local art, tattooed bartenders, the works.


And guys, seriously the best jukebox music I've ever experienced. Ever. I recognized about 2% of the music played, but every song I heard I wanted to download on itunes immediately, if not sooner. All genres, from old school acoustic Nirvana to new age electronica. It.was.awesome. I guess for me there is something that puts your mind at ease when you're surrounded by the unfamiliar.


We ordered their infamous "Fat Juicy Burger" and it lived up to its name! The food and beer is very reasonably priced and not typical "bar food" if you ask me. Burger on a whole wheat bun and Asian slaw as a side for under $10? Yes please.


Oh, it gets better. After beer numero dos it was time to hit the loo...and there it is. Customer graffiti baby. E-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. I might have had an extra beer or two just to keep going back. Overall, this place rocks - definitely bucket list worthy!














#2 - The Highland Inn

After consuming a few beverages we made our way to The Highland Inn, conveniently walking distance from Righteous. The $7 cover was a bummer, but little did we know it would be well worth it! We quickly made our way to the "showroom." Couches of all design, tiny tables, and about 8 stacked TVs with old movies playing attracted quite the diverse crowd, which of course means we fit right in!

Following only a few sips of our Yuenglings The Peachtree Soul Club shows us what they're workin' wit' and introduces me to some of the greatest live music to move to....SOUL music baby! These guys were fully equipped with electric guitar, bass, drums, saxophone, trumpet, and organ players. Before long we were grooving to Salt-N-Pepa's "Whatta Man" with 50 of our closest friends. I am going here as often as possible now, you just watch me. Bucket list worthy? Absolutely!


















#3 - Smith's Olde Bar


Yes, we're still on Friday night, try and keep up. The night concludes with a quick cameo at Smith's Olde Bar before getting some shut eye for round two tomorrow....or to wind things down if nothing else.


I've been here several times before and it is a great music venue, and equally as pleasurable for some classic dart playing after midnight I have found! A little too smokey for my taste, but you've got plenty of space to have a beer with a few friends and still meet some rando's. Bucket list worthy? Debatable. But definitely a place to tag along to from time to time.

1 comment:

  1. Wow..I def. have to get my ass out of May-retta (Marietta) to experience these awesome places. They look fun...Smith's Olde Bar is one of favorites. I wanna read more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete