Thursday, April 22, 2010

#25 - Dogwood Festival

After the shock wore off from RHPS the night before, I washed the stank off from my soccer game that a.m. and met up with Broder to walk down to Dogwood Festival at Piedmont Park!


I was mucho thankful for not only a gorgeous 75 degree cloudless day, but also that the festival was no longer hosted at the Lenox Mall parking lot. Does anyone remember that?! It looked miserable from the confines of my car driving by last year, so I vowed to boycott the event until it came back to where it belongs....success!

Dogwood has been an active festival in Atlanta for 74 years, and by golly I hope to be around for 174. Did I mention it is one of few Atlanta's festivals with FREE admission? Its endless green space welcomes vendors from all over the U.S., selling their trinkets and entertaining each visitor with their back-story on how it all began for them.

This event is HUGE, one of the biggest I have experienced in Atlanta yet. We didn't even head down until around 4:00 that afternoon, but the crowd had not yet subsided. Thankfully it wasn't shoulder to shoulder throughout the maze from entrance to exit....only a tight squeeze when people stopped to check out the yummy food, expensive booze ($5 Corona's, $8 margaritas and $3 bottled water....typical)  and some amazing artistic talent. Enjoy the photo montage below.



A Crepe station??? Well done, Dogwood


 Num, Num, Num


Inspired by The Beatles....I'm in love


Our favorite artists: Stephen J. Kasun in GA, HC Porter Gallery of MS & Xavier Nuez of CA


My fav from his collection










An hour or so later I started feeling the urge for some major noshing....and then a light began to shine from above, and I found my reason for living.....

....FUNNEL CAKES BABY!!


Man has it been a minute since I've endured the sweet succulent taste of a greasy festival funnel cake. Please take a moment to experience it with me....

At long last...we meet again...for $7


It doesn't get....


...any better....


...than THIS!


And now bro's turn....we were both in heaven...can you tell??


Before heading back to our opposite ends of the earth, we listened to a few tunes from a random white guy.....no seriously, he was literally all white.

Statue or real man? You decide. Wait, I was there so I will decide for you...it was a real dude.


 Dogwood festival is great for all ages....small groups, big groups, couples, besties, families, you name it. I'd hate to be the cleanup crew for this event, but it was a great way to eat some amazing food, get some exercise and catch up with my bro in between flights. Bucket list worthy? YES'SUM!

1 comment: