Monday, November 23, 2009

#8 - 40 Watt


 One weekend without a bucket list item checked off felt so wrong, so I went all out again this weekend for your viewing pleasure.

Friday night I headed down to Athens, GA with another Wheeler High School survivor where we met up with a 3660 Peachtree survivor to see Washed Out perform with Toro Y Moi at the 40 Watt. I've been following both artists for a few months now thanks to Swirv, and they were totally worth the two hourish round trip. I know, I know, it's an Atlanta bucket list and you're going to Athens? I make my own rules people, and this is definitely bucket list worthy.


I must admit that my usual visits to the UGA town have typically been monotonous. If I got hit on by one more underage shaggy haired frat guy with sandals on in the winter I was going to lose it, but this visit redeemed my faith in the city.....I have found where all the hipsters hide.....white boy fro included.

The smell of cheap beer and cigs surprsingly didn't bother me. The venue was filled with goodwill couches, Christmas lights and graffiti-filled semi-functioning bathrooms which instantly reminded me of what college was all about....getting a solid education of course. No, not really.

Toro Y Moi...aka Chaz (yes, Chaz) was...and there is no other way to put this people. OFF THE CHAIN. I could have listened to him play for 3 more hours if my eyelids permitted, but instead we had a quick chat with the talented Toro and I napped my way back to the ATL for another bucket list win.

If you ever make your way to Athens, be sure to stop by this venue and see whoever is playing immediately if not sooner. I mean, it's a college town people, it's going to be interesting no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment